Kaia

Kaia

Feminist Killjoy. Badly Behaving Bookliker. Writer and reader of all things speculative.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
Perdition
Ann Aguirre
Brightly Woven - Alexandra Bracken This book. This. Book. I mean, seriously, what the hell? Book, why did I enjoy you so much? You're all over the place, wildly inconsistent, even. What's up with that? The world-building is slapdash and it feels like half the character/relationship building scenes were cut out. And the whole hedge witch thing? WTF. There was a time when women weren't allowed to learn magic, so all the ones who wanted to banded together and became teh ebil dark witches? Every. Last. One. Of. Them. And what's with the whole mail thing? How do two broke ass travelers afford a constant supply of paper and ink? How about the fact that Sydelle suddenly develops a surname in the middle of the book. Like, I hadn't seen it before and then POOF there it is. Worse, firearms. No mention of them at all and then suddenly, at the end, they exist. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? It's like whoever edited this book was a bit drunk.And at the same damn time, I enjoyed it. I don't know, it's just...Bracken is really good at emotionally charging her scenes. There's something compelling about Brightly Woven despite its flaws. I liked that a lot happened (generally, I hate spending 300 pages to only achieve 24 hours of time) and that Bracken managed to make it a light, pleasant read, despite the fact that she's actually a total asshole to her poor characters. Like, you don't even realize it, and then suddenly it occurs to you that North never finds a cure for his extremely painful curse that will kill him at a young age and Sydelle will likely have to spend the entire rest of her life dealing with the fact that she caused her own village to suffer from a drought for 10 years. That's entirely messed up.