Kaia

Kaia

Feminist Killjoy. Badly Behaving Bookliker. Writer and reader of all things speculative.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
Perdition
Ann Aguirre
Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero - Dan Abnett Perhaps it's just me, but I couldn't make it through even the first chapter of this book. I didn't find it funny at all; the "humor" is puerile (wads of spit like a bed of shucked oysters? Farts more impressive than anything a trained bugler could dream of? Bleh) and slapped so heavily into the overwrought prose that none of it is funny.Description is of all and sundry. The reader is presented with the backstory (often extensive) of every character that appears "on screen" and then some. At one point, two pages are taken up to describe the history of a hunting lodge that then appears as a backdrop for maybe a minute. And where is Triumff, anyway? He appears on the scene only once in all of this. Then we're introduced (briefly) to the book's narrator (which is crazy, because it was pages before I knew the book was supposed to have one), a Mr. Beaver. Here the book jumps into first person POV, hops back to third person for literally one line, then back to first person for another paragraph or so, then back to third person again. Maybe there's a good story in there somewhere, but I've got better things to do than wade through all the self-indulgent crap to find it.